The residential colonies around the Institute and the factory brought in their wake the problem of educating the children of the residents. To meet this social obligation the TITS Society is running a Senior Secondary School for the children of its employees, which initially started as a Primary School in the 4-room humble building presently housing the Birla Colony Post Office. In 1952 the School was shifted to its present building which is provided with well equipped laboratories and well stocked Library. From the initial enrolment of about 200 in 1946 the strength of the School has sky rocketed to over 2400. It is the only school of its kind where education is free from Nursery to Senior Secondary class. Further, free books are provided to the Children of all employees. The concept of 'Neighborhood Schools' which the national planners are now advocating has actually been in operation here since 1946.
The School has proved a veritable boon for the children of factory employees, but for which, avenues of educational progress would have been closed to many. Instances are on record where children of workers have won through to secure academic honours and responsible positions in the society. Good scholars from the city also seek admission to TIT School on account of excellent instructional facilities obtaining here. Every year a number of our students figure in the Merit List of the Board and win distinctions and scholarships in the Middle, High School and 10+2 examinations.
Apart from winning academic honours the School has made a significant mark in the field of sports and extra mural activities and is regarded as one of the most progressive schools of the State.